Links

Home           Twitter           Meet Tanantha           Featured On

Monday, May 10, 2010

Korean Roasted Rice Cakes

5.10.10


I know I know..it's Momofuku again..
Okay, this is the last post about the Momo cookbook (as Lazaro called it)....for now!

Korean food is one of my favorite cuisines in the world. It might be the magic of kimchi (fermented cabbage); that some of you might have to turn your face away from. The spunky, spicy, and savoriness of the food (not to mention all the different kinds of side dishes) might be some of the reasons it won me over. I like it when some Korean restaurants make their soup in a hot stone bowl, and rice in a stone cup. It does make the food taste better. I remember taking my mom to a Korean restaurant for the first time. What she liked the most was the crispy rice in the stone cup. She even wanted to box leftover rice; I mean just rice!

Korean culture has influenced other Asian cultures. Here's my proof. If you have Asian friends or are Asian yourself, you most likely have done at least one of the following:
  • Have tried kimchi
  • Have drunk Soju (Korean Sake)
  • Know at least one word of Korean; such as cheers in Korean
  • Have watched Korean dramas!--this was probably the first step for me to get sucked into K-drama world. It's so addicting. Let me tell ya! It's like Seinfeld, Sex and the City, or the Friends series here.
Okay, I think I have enough of K-world and enough motivation to encourage myself to learn to cook Korean dishes. Here I am learning to make roasted rice cakes from the Momo Cookbook. 

Those are the rice cakes!

Rice cakes are very popular in Korean Cuisine which are called Dok boki. It also appears in Japanese and Chinese cuisine. When my friend cooked this for me, he boiled them. It wasn't that interesting to me until I had a crispy rice cake version. It could be grilled or pan-fried!? It tastes better than the boiled one to me. Once I found out that David Chang felt the same way and had the recipe, I was definitely up for it.

According to the book, rice cakes are made by beating cooked rice and then molding the very glutinous, thick results into shapes. They come in a cone-shaped disk or long stick. If you cut them into shorter lengths, they have an Italian gnocchi-like appearance. They are sold frozen or fresh. You can find them at Korean or Japanese grocery  stores.
Organic Ssamjang

Roasted Rice Cakes by Momofuku Cookbook
Yield: 6

1/4 cup mirin (sweet cooking sake)
1/4 cup chicken stock
1/2 cup Korean Red Dragon Sauce (the mixture of water, sugar, ssamjang, light soy sauce, sherry vinegar,  and sesame oil)
1/4 cup roasted onions (from the last post)
2 tablespoons grapeseed oil or other neutral oil
1 lb rice cake
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1/2 cup scallions (greens and whites)

The sauce mixture

Directions:
  • Make the sauce by combining mirin and stock in a medium saucepan and put on the stove over high heat. Boil to reduce until lightly thickened, 2-3 mins
  • Add the red dragon sauce, turn the heat down to medium and reduce the sauce to a glossy consistency, 6-7 mins
  • Stir in roasted onions. Cover and keep warm over low heat until the rice cakes are ready
  • While the sauce is reducing, heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. I don't have a cast-iron skillet. I used a wok instead. Make sure it's clean because the white cakes will pick up any schmutz from the pan.
  • Add oil to the pan, and just when it's about to smoke, add rice cakes. The book said it should sizzle when they hit the oil.
  • Sear the rice cakes about 3 mins per side until they are light golden brown. Don't overdo it otherwise they will dry out
  • Bring the sauce back to a boil and toss the rice cakes in it just for a few seconds until they're evenly coated
  • Sprinkle them with the sesame seeds and toss again. Garnish with a large pinch of sliced scallions and serve hot


Garnish with more sesame seeds and scallions


Yum!

25 comments:

Le said...

I've tasted rice cakes before but not like this. I tasted a super spicy version. This looks really good! I love Korean food, especially the side dishes they serve at Korean bbq restaurants.

I might actually be moving to Korea soon so I can't wait to try more Korean cuisine there!

Tanantha P. said...

wow! you will be moving there? well have fun there and eat lots of bulgogi and drink lots of Soju for me!

Cook with Madin said...

Hi, This looks really good. I haven't tried rice cakes like this. I'm sure I will try making them. Thank you for sharing.

denise @ quickies on the dinner table said...

Ooooh! Tanantha! This looks amazing!! I so want a plate of this now LOL

Elin Chia said...

Hi Tanantha...it looks better than those served in the korean restaurant! Well done and you are actually moving in Korea...wow, after a while I am sure you will be able to cook perfect korean dishes and I look forward to coming here for more korean dishes :))

Roxan said...

Boo on you! Go try it :) You will love it. Let me know if you have any questions. Btw you make the most delicious looking food, when can I come over? haha

Lazaro Cooks said...

Aye, Tanantha...you are so funny!

This dish looks amazing. It is lunch time in the magic city and I want to eat your dish. Great job.

Cheers!

Biren said...

Your rice cakes look super with the sesame seeds! The one I tasted was pretty plain.

Tanantha P. said...

Thank you everyone! See? Korean cuisine has some magic on you :)

@Elin, no I'm not moving to Korean. It's Le. She might be moving there.

Roxan said...

Tanantha! You're in top 9! yay :)

Unknown said...

I love tteokbokki and I agree with you that sauteeing the noodles does help the texture in a good way.

Anonymous said...

I love Korean cuisine too and this recipe looks very tasty, I will have to see if I can get the rice cakes. Great photos!

Liv Wan said...

I love this korean dish!!
Thank you for sharing. Now I finally know how to make this dish. Thank you so much.

Anonymous said...

I second you on your photos. Great product shots. You should think about going into food photography. I live in Korea and enjoy Korean food very much as well. Good luck on you move.

Unknown said...

If you live in the States and there's no Korean grocery store near you, check out http://www.hmart.com/ and order them online.

Magdalena said...

Hello! I am new here. I do not know much about the Korean cooking, I have tried several times their specialties but never prepare on my own. Your dish look absolutely delicious; I bookmarked it, so I will not forget :) Have a nice day...

Liv Wan said...

Hello Tanantha,

I decide to share this award with you because your blog enrich my daily life all the time.

http://livwanchinesecookingclass.com/2010/05/12/my-may-sunshine-award/

Anonymous said...

You picture is amazing! I love it. And the meal sounds amazing, I'm a big fan of Korean food but I've never made it myself actully. Maybe now is the right time.. :)

sensiblecooking said...

Very interesting. I love rice, But haven't tried this. This looks perfect will have to try.

BarbC said...

my favorite part is the "schmutz from the pan"! :)

Anonymous said...

This looks so delicious! Long ago in high school my Korean friend made a hot pot for us using these rice cakes and they were so delicious... but this looks even more appetizing! Thank you!

Emily said...

This just looks divine. I think I can have the entire plate to myself...oops you dish has just let out my inner glutton hahaha!
Thanks for sharing :)

Anonymous said...

Hi Tanantha, I decided to spread the sunshine and nominate you for the Sunshine Award because you've inspired me and touched my life. Cheers, Judy

http://bebeloveokazu.wordpress.com/2010/05/14/spreading-the-sunshine/

Marina said...

Nice! I've been slowly trying new Korean foods... even tried making radish soup the other day, but this one looks super delicious. I might have to make it for my Korean friends and see what they think..

Anonymous said...

I'm wondering if you have the proportions for making the Red dragon sauce? Would love to try this recipe.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...