Links

Home           Twitter           Meet Tanantha           Featured On

Friday, September 24, 2010

Mascarpone Stuffed Fresh Figs and Honey Balsamic Vinegar

9.24.10

DSC_0184


I've recently fallen in love with figs.
They look intimidating at first sight. You heard me right.

Black and green color, and seeds make me wonder if these can be eaten fresh? really? I had been postponing to try and find out until the San Francisco trip. I ordered fig salad at Waterbar. It was divine. The figs were fresh and the sauce was perfectly sweet. Since then, I've known the next dish of figs I ate would be served at my dining table soon. I went to a market and didn't miss the opportunity to pick some. I was excited to get my hands on them. Since it's new to me, I couldn't make up my mind if I wanted to bake, preserve, or leave it as is. Thanks to awesome bloggers giving me an idea on what to do with my new baby. Here are some ideas you can try.

Fig Salad at Waterbar

Fresh Fig Bars with Bittersweet Chocolate Chuck Brandy from Patty's Food
Rosemary Goat Cheese Stuffed Figs with Prosciutto from BunkyCooks
Honey Spice Fig Cookies from Anecdotes and Apple Cores

There are other blogs I've seen too but I lost track of them. I'm sure you can find it easily on this blogosphear. It's amazing, isn' it? The technology we have nowadays....

I decided to keep a beauty for its taste as is and go with a fresh version. I had mascarpone left from the catfish and black beans dish (inspired by Lazaro). I like the creaminess of it and remembered from a cooking class that goat cheese mixed with a little cream tasted good. Therefore, I mixed mascarpone with a little cream as well - just to dilute it, and added just a touch of powdered sugar. Then you squeeze it to the middle of cut fresh figs. Drizzle with honey balsamic vinegar reduction. It's a food-gasm for sure (is it PG-13?!) Oops. I meant it tasted terrific. Although Keith didn't like it that much because of the creaminess, I did not care. I finished them myself and they left me happy.

I don't really have a recipe for this and probably can't post anywhere else, but I will try to provide measurements. I feel silly posting this but at least I share what is good right? (wink). You mix cheese with cream and sugar to your desire of creaminess and sweetness. Top it with chopped pistachio. Then, drizzle balsamic mixture on top. That's it. It's good. Try it. Period.

This is easy and tasty - perfect for easy Friday!

DSC_0158
Fresh Black Mission Figs

Mascarpone Stuffed Fresh Figs and Honey Balsamic Vinegar
Yield: about 16 figs

Ingredients:
1 pint of fresh figs
1/2 cup mascarpone cheese
1/2 tbs heavy cream (adjust to your preference)
Powered sugar ( add 1 tsp interval until it reaches your desire of sweetness, or you can omit it)
Chopped pistachio for garnish
Orange zest (optional)

Honey Balsamic Reduction:
6 tbs balsamic vinegar
1 tbs honey
1-2 drop orange extract (optional)

Directions:
  • Cut top tip of figs, then quarter it but not all the way so that it can hold mascarpone mixture.
  • Heat up a small sauce pan over medium heat. Add balsamic, honey, and orange extract. Bring it to boil, then lower it to low heat. Simmer it until it reduces by 1/3. Remove from heat and let it cool. It should get thicker.
  • Scoop mascarpone mixture to a pastry bag. If you don't have it, you can use a zip lock bag and cut a tip off.
  • Squeeze the mixture right in the middle. Top with chopped pistachio and orange zest.
  • Drizzle honey balsamic on each filled fig and on the side.
  • Enjoy!
DSC_0160
Quarter it but not all the way through


DSC_0170



DSC_0185






Follow tananthap on Twitter

35 comments:

ann low said...

WOW! Lovely presentable and delicious like from a 5 star hotel.

Anonymous said...

Definitely a 5 star appetizer! Excellent!

~Lisa~ said...

oh yum I actually have some figs in the fridge so i think I'll be doing something with them soon. You dish looks so beautiful and the flavors are perfect! Great job (=

Roxan said...

You ask if it's pg-13 to say food-gasmic... I ask if it's pg-13 to say that figs remind me of testicles. HAHA... sorry T, I just feel like I know you well enough to say that now. But don't get me wrong, I LOVE fresh figs, and will eat them by the basketful. Great job with the figs! Everything you make is so professional looking.

Torviewtoronto said...

lovely presentation looks delicious

Stella said...

Figs are one my favorite fruits, Tanantha, and I can't get them down here:( Your salad at the bar looks like it was great though, and I love your stuffed figs. Mascarpone is so rich and delicious. Plus, it's meant to be with honey (smile). Yummerz!

lequan said...

Hey Tanantha!

This is such a beautiful and creative dish! I absolutely love the presentation! The figs remind me of beautiful blooming flowers. Your mixture of ingredients are the perfect combination. I've just recently discovered the deliciousness of figs not too long ago also and the first bite blew me away! I'm glad you shared this dish with us Tanantha. This is not silly at all, more like divine :-P Have a great weekend, dear!

Lazaro Cooks said...

T,

I could not agree more with Natasha, 5 star indeed. Gorgeous photos, creative recipe, and the presentation...

You are really taking your plating to another level completely. I am so impressed, inspired...you are an absolute star!

Have a great weekend and trip.

Be good!

Unknown said...

Tanantha, lovely fig dish, presented so beautifully! I would be thrilled to find this in front of me at a 3 star restaurant and thanks for your mention of my fig recipe, you really are quite generous;)

Unknown said...

This is a gorgeously presented dish. All the elements put together meld so perfectly. Very nice job!

Magic of Spice said...

Wow these are gorgeous and great selection of flavors...And the presentation is just stunning :)
P.S. I would have been happy to help to eat them...Have a great weekend!

Tiffany said...

Another fabulous post and amazing photos! I just love your blog!

blackbookkitchendiaries said...

this looks so sexy!...this would be perfect to serve my dinner guest next week. i love this! thank you for sharing.

Monet said...

What a stunning dish! I want to prepare this for the dinner party I'm hosting this week. You knock my socks off, once again. And thank you for the shout out...you are too sweet!

Emily said...

What a sophisticated dish! I love figs very much and have been eating as they are - too scared to ruin their delicate texture. I like the fact that the dish looks complex and delicious and yet, it's quite simple to make! :)
You have outdone yourself again. :P

A SPICY PERSPECTIVE said...

This looks like heaven!

Angie's Recipes said...

This looks simply gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

These look fancy and fantastic!

Chef Dennis Littley said...

what a wonderful tribute to those lovely figs! marscapone stuffed figs sound delicious!!! I would love to try them with that honey balsamic, what a great combination of flavors!

LimeCake said...

i wish Australia had beautiful figs like these. so delicious!

FOODESSA said...

Tanantha...figs have been a huge part of my childhood...especially eaten fresh and uniquely on their own. As I grew up, I slowing incorporated them in my recipes. Hence, figs are certainly not new to me. What is new to me is your wonderfully presented dish and recipe!!!
Tanantha...you're really impressing us with your hidden talents ;O)

Ciao for now,
Claudia

Jessie said...

Beautiful presentation and delicious recipe! I'm very impressed with your creativity. Aren't figs just wonderful? I remember the first time I ate a fig, too - it was life-changing :D

Nancy said...

Oh I love love figs! Your recipe sounds really good, I'm going to try it after I go buy the mascarpone. I love your food-gasmic phrase, hehe :) Lovely photos and the presentation does look like a 5 star restaurant.

Evan @swEEts said...

I've been meaning to leave you a comment about these for a couple of days.. the figs look delicious! I really need to try out some recipes with these lil guys :) Congrats on Top 9!!

Unknown said...

Looks amazingly beautiful and delicious.

Magdalena said...

I like a lot this classical and seasonal dessert. Sweet figs and heavy mascarpone - yummm.....

Biren said...

Looks like a real treat to me! Unfortunately I have yet to see figs in the stores around my area. I think I am not going to the right places.

denise @ quickies on the dinner table said...

Woweee! Tanantha! That is BEAUTIFUL! You've really become an ace food photographer :)

I actually can't remember what fresh figs taste like - I had some as a kid from trees but they are now all imported and insanely expensive so.....

I would have loved to have tasted this - you're so lucky to have figs so easily there :(

Priscilla - She's Cookin' said...

I prefer fruit in its freshest, raw form and your simple and delicious addition of sweetened marscapone and crunchy pistachios is perfect! Beautiful photos and presentation as well!

bunkycooks said...

These are beautifully presented and I am sure incredibly tasty. Thank you so much for the link. :)

Karen said...

I can only echo what the other have said...Beautiful dish!
Congrats on the Top 9!

Savoring Italy said...

Wow! What a unique way to use figs (love figs!). It looks like a recipe I will try soon. Happy I found your blog. :)
Lora

Jennifer said...

I LOVE figs and my favorite way is with sharp cheeses and honey....I love that you stuffed them and the vinegar sounds amazing!

whozyerdanny said...

Perfectly matched flavors, beautifully done.

Anonymous said...

These look divine!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...