Links

Home           Twitter           Meet Tanantha           Featured On

Tuesday, January 26, 2010

When you are alone, you...

It's a night alone with my puppy, Bella, what should I have for dinner? Didn't have time to stop by a grocery store due to the worries of the new puppy when my husband was on a business trip. After work I went straight home...

I opened the fridge and looked around at what I had. There we go! Some fresh veggies, frozen veggies that I keep for "emergency", leftover ground turkey, and eggs (note to self: always have eggs on hand). I turned around looking for rice. Oh yes, I definitely have rice. I'm Asian!

When I am alone, I have less motivation to cook a fancy dinner for myself. In fact, I used to be a big fan of frozen food. I know I know I was a loser. It's easy, fast, and gave me 15 more lbs than I originally weighed. The first dish that came to mind was fried rice -- easy, fast, filling, and healthier than frozen food! Fried rice is like an Asian comfort food for me. Plus, this dinner and leftovers for lunch costs me $0! Sorry, Uncle Sam, I didn't help boost up the economy that time.

When you are alone, what do you cook for yourself? If you wouldn't mind, share it with me, would you?

Note: Main ingredients for Thai stir-fry are oyster sauce and soy sauce. Have these on hand! Any stir-fry dish will need these.



Turkey (Brown) Fried Rice
Yield: 6 servings

Ingredients:
3 cups cooked rice. From the photos, I used brown rice. It's optional.
3 eggs
1/2 lb ground turkey. If you have more than 1/2 a lb, that's toally fine.
1 head brocoli, cut
1-2 cups frozen veggies
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
2 teaspoons sugar
1 teaspoon black or white peppers
1 teaspoon white vinegar
4 coves garlic, chopped
4 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
chili peppers (optional) - the amount is based on how tolerant you are to spiciness

Directions:

  • Heat up a wok. A medium deep skillet would do if you don't have a wok.
  • Add 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
  • Wait a few mins till oil is hot, then add garlic and stir till tender and the color is turning brown
  • Add ground turkey, any meat you have on hand or your preference would do, stir in with garlic
  • When meat is cooked, add onion. Mix well and set aside on a wok (see picture)
  • Add the rest of oil, wait till hot. Crack the eggs in, stir. When eggs are cooked, mix well with meat
  • Add in rice, mix well. Add oyster sauce, soy sauce, pepper, chili peppers, and sugar, white vinergar
  • Dump in veggies, stir and mix well
  • Good fried rice should have sweet, salty, and a little sour taste to it.
















Whatever veggies you have on hand

















Stir in meat and garlic

















Crack the eggs in

















Dump in rice. The picture looks brown because I used brown rice. Followed by all seasonings, and veggies

















Up-close! I'm sharing it with Bella!


0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...