Links

Home           Twitter           Meet Tanantha           Featured On

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

My Pocket Pie of Love

The first thing that motivated me to make pie is a pocket pie mold I saw in a heart shape at my favorite store, Williams-Sonoma. I know it sounds silly but utensil and kitchen equipment does motivate you to cook and bake! When I stopped by at the store, I felt like it was calling my name: "Tanantha, please take me home!" I ended up spending $$$ unintentionally. I bought this mold before I even knew how to make pie!

Anyway, going back to my pocket pie of love... I've found the best pie crust recipe so far and learned a few tricks of making pie! It's flaky and tastes really good. Confirmed by my friends, co-workers, and myself! I found the recipe I borrow from the Pioneer Woman web. She's incredible and inspiring. I'm a fan of her website. She started out like me with a blog and it has grown and turned into a top-ranked website. This recipe is one her reader, Sylvia L., sent her. She claimed it is the most flaky pie crust and I totally agree!




My Pocket Pie of Love
Recipe courtesy of Sylvia L. and the Pioneer Woman
Yield: 3 pies
Ingredients
  • 1-½ cup Crisco (vegetable Shortening)
  • 3 cups All-purpose Flour
  • 1 whole Egg
  • 5 Tablespoons Cold Water
  • 1 Tablespoon White Vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon Salt
  • Confectioner's sugar to garnish
Preparation Instructions:
  • In a large bowl, with a pastry cutter (if you don't have it, no worries. Use a potato smasher. It works just fine), gradually work the Crisco into the flour for about 3 or 4 minutes until it resembles a coarse meal. 
  • In a small bowl, beat an egg with a fork and then pour it into the flour/shortening mixture. Add 5 tablespoons of cold water, 1 tablespoon of white vinegar and 1 teaspoon of salt. Stir together gently until all of the ingredients are incorporated.
  • Separate the dough into thirds. Form 3 evenly sized balls of dough and place each dough into a large Ziploc bag. Using a rolling pin, slightly flatten each ball of dough (about ½ inch thick) to make rolling easier later. Seal the bags and place them in the freezer until you need them. (If you will be using it immediately it’s still a good idea to put in the freezer for about 15 to 20 minutes to chill.). Yes you heard me...freeze them...
  • When you are ready to use the dough to make a crust, remove from the freezer and allow to thaw for 15 minutes. 
  • Note: To make a flaky pie crust, all ingredients need to be CHILL
















Starring: flour, vegetable shortening, egg, salt, water, and white vinegar

















Using a potato smasher, work gradually on vegetable shortening and four till mixed

































Add beaten cold egg

















Cold water

















White vinegar

















Blend it together until all the ingredients mix well


















Form the dough into 3 balls and put in a Ziploc. FREEZE them until you need them

















Flatten it out a bit so that when you need it, it's easier to roll out

















Make Pie of Love:

















The pocket pie mold I found that I was excited to get my hands on!

















Get the work surface ready by flouring it so that the dough doesn't stick to it

















On a floured surface roll the dough, starting at the center and working your way out. (Sprinkle some flour over top of the dough if it’s a bit too moist.) If the dough is sticking to the countertop use a metal spatula and carefully scrape it up and flip it over and continue rolling until it’s about ½ inch larger in diameter than your pie pan.

















Place one flattened dough slice on the mold, followed by filling, and then place the one with the heart hole on top. Slightly press it to seal. I used strawberry filling: strawberry, sugar, and butter, bring it to simmer.

















If you press too hard or put in too much filling, it will come out like this! (bad ones) Not everything has gone right, until.....
















...you find the perfect one for you!...

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...