Links

Home           Twitter           Meet Tanantha           Featured On

Saturday, July 31, 2010

Lazaro brings the Rose Water Eton Mess over at IJLMP!

7.31.10



Today, I Just Love My Apron will do something a little different. We're doing a joint guest post with Lazaro at Lazaro Cooks! We both created a dish around a secret ingredient -Rose water and will post it on the same day. My dish is posted at his blog. Lazaro has been a good blog fellow and friend with great support. I'm sure you couldn't agree with me more! Needless to say, please welcome Lazaro and his Rose Water Eton Mess he brought over.

My good friend Tanantha from I Just Love My Apron and I agreed to take on the challenge of doing a joint guest post.  We decided to both create a dish around the lovely ingredient rose water.


This is one of my favorite ingredients.  Rose water has a distinct flavor and enhances many sweets. A few weeks ago when working on a piece for Blogcritics about the brilliant British chef Marco Pierre White I wanted to recreate his wonderful Eton Mess.  However, since life is so hectic these days, I totally got sidetracked.  Fortunately this is the Lawyer's absolute favorite and she graciously nudged me to make it.

If you want an interesting historical look at this dessert, check out this post by my talented friend Deana at lostpastremembered.

Eton Mess is a layered dessert.  I will describe each layer as I move through the recipe.  Rose water is added in small does throughout to in the end create a beautiful flavor profile.

Rose Water Eton Mess

For the Vanilla Ice Cream:

2 cups whole milk
3 vanilla beans - split lengthwise in half
8 egg yolks
1/2 cup cane sugar
1 cup heavy cream
5 drops of rose water - using a dropper

Rinse out a saucepan with water and do not dry (it keeps the milk from sticking).  Over medium-high heat bring the milk, vanilla beans, and rose water to the boil.  Remove from the heat.  Cover and allow the milk to infuse for 20 minutes.

In a glass bowl, beat the yolks and cane sugar until thick and creamy.  Put the saucepan over the heat again and bring the milk to a boil.  Ladle some of the milk into the yolks.  Whisk vigorously to blend.  Off the heat, add the rest of the yolks to the milk.  Reduce the heat to low.  Cook until it reaches a temperature of 185 F.  DO NOT ALLOW IT TO BOIL AGAIN.  This cooking process should take about 6 minutes.  Remove from the heat and stir in the heavy cream.  Pass the custard through a fine mesh strainer.  Chill in the fridge OVERNIGHT!

Churn your ice cream following the manufacturer's methods this is the one I use White Mountain F69206-X 6-Quart Electric Ice Cream Freezer.

For the Blueberry Pulp

1 pint Florida blueberries
Organic honey
Cognac Courvoisier
Powdered sugar
Orange juice
Orange Blossom Water

Note: Amounts up to the discretion of the cooks palate.


In a glass bowl, combine all the ingredients.  Mix well.  Marinate in the refrigerator overnight.  When ready to serve mash the blueberries using a potato masher.  The goal is to create a wonderful pulp.

For the Mess:
Whipping cream
Powdered sugar
4 drops rose water - using a dropper


Note:  Making your own meringue is very simple.  However, the people at Miss Meringue do an amazing job with these colorful cookies.  They will save you some time.



In a glass bowl, whip the cream, powdered sugar, and rose water to desired thickness.  Break up the meringue in small pieces.  Gently fold the meringue into the whipped cream.

To Plate:
1. The base of the dish is two scoops of rose water infused vanilla ice cream
2. Generously spoon the blueberry pulp
3. Top with the mess of meringue and rose water whipped cream
4. Garnish with fresh blueberries
Here's a bonus dish for my white chocolate loving friends...

Rose Water White Chocolate Chip Cookies




That's it for now...till we exchange a few words again...Peace!

Thanks Lazaro for bringing us a beautiful delicious looking dessert, and a creative idea. I guess we now know more about rose water and what we can do with it.  Come check out what I did with rose water at Lazaro Cooks!.


Here's a sneak peak:

It's more than what it looks; please come over with me to find out!



Follow tananthap on Twitter

22 comments:

lequan@luvtoeat said...

Holy smokes Lazaro! ABSOLUTE DROOL! And I said holy smokes rather than holy moley or holy cows because holy smokes, you are on fire my friend! What a gorgeous, delicious recipe that is. I sure don't blame the lawyer for asking you to make this often. I bet if I had a taste of this, it would be my favorite dessert too. Thank you for sharing your magnificent recipes time and time again.

And thank you Tanantha for having another great guest post. You and Lazaro are a force to be reckoned with. Oh and I'm not sure if the white chocolate cookie recipe was meant to be a link or not but I tried clicking on it and nothing happened. If not, that's ok too. I'll just have to bug Lazaro for the recipe (wink). Hope you have a wonderful weekend Tanantha!

Sanjana said...

Brilliant! What a classic dish re-invented... well done Lazaro!

Like I said over at Lazaro's.. Love this collaboration! Tanantha, your recipe over there was stunning, too! Great job!

Faith said...

Wow Lazaro! This beautiful dessert is seriously impressive! The addition of rose water to the classic Eton Mess is a wonderful idea!

Jenn @ Chinese Baba said...

Hi Lazaro,
Your dessert is simply so beautiful. I've heard of Eton Messes so I'll have to go back and read up on the history. Ok, I must remind myself everytime i come down to sit and read food blogs before I've eaten anything... crazy insomnia.
Also, LOVE your ice cream maker. I so want one!

Allie and Pattie said...

Lazaro, this is too funny! I mad Eton Mess for a dinner last week and saw 3 different versions posted online THIS week! This looks to be the best and most unique- Kudos! I have to find those meringue cookies- the humidity lately is making it very difficult to make them at home
xoxo Pattie

Ellen said...

Lazaro does it again! Both of these look fantastic and the pictures are gorgeous! Yum!

Unknown said...

Thanks Tanantha for bringing us Lazaro's unique composed dessert. I like the exchanged posts, it's just a fun way for your readers to be introduced to a great new site and recipe! As for this recipe, wow, I love all the elements, I see why there is so much buzz around it. Thanks for inspiring me to use that cute little bottle of rosewater in the back of my pantry :-)

Magic of Spice said...

Lazaro, this looks so wonderful...I just love the secret ingredient you two have chosen, great job...and the cookies look yummy too:)

Monet said...

This was such a fun post...and a great idea. I loved the ingredient, and ever since I heard about it on the Splendid Table, I've been looking for some recipes to use it in. Thank you for giving me the inspiration!

citronetvanille said...

You guys did an amazing job with the use of rose water, such a delightful ingredient with a Middle Eastern touch to it. Thanks for introducing me to Eton Mess, never heard of it. Great job Lazaro with this re-invented and creative dessert!

Ana Powell said...

Lazaro, you are unstoppable.
Your work is full of motivation ♥

Chef Dennis Littley said...

wow Lazaro, you never disappoint! what an incredible dessert!! First that ice cream with all those eggs and vanilla beans must have been amazing, then that blueberry mixture.....just heaven my friend, just heaven!

denise @ quickies on the dinner table said...

This I have not seen before - a joint guest post that is! Wonderful idea.

Your Eton mess is pure brilliance -even without the ice cream it would have been a complete winner! I love how every component of this dessert would be infused with the gorgeous flavour and aroma of rosewater. Love the idea of rosewater in the cookies.

Fantastic all around, not least of which is that totally rocking photo! Love it!

sara826 said...

I have always wanted to use rose water. It is hard to find where I live.

Roxan said...

Awesome tag team guest post! I love rose water. I saw your creme brulee on Lazaro's blog also... that looks absolutely heavenly... mmm
ps creme brulee holds a special place in my heart because Eric made some for me when we first started dating!

Biren said...

That looks like a great dessert! I have a huge bottle of rose water waiting to be used. It's going to take me years to use it up. I think I'll start with the cookies :)

Mo said...

I must admit I've never heard of an Eton Mess but it definitely looks like something I'd chow down on. :P
Great job!

Anonymous said...

What an awesome challenge. It looks like you both conquered it well. Delicious!

Evan @swEEts said...

All of that looks out of this world..everything looks so delicious! Now I'm heading over to Lazaro's site to see what Tanantha came up with- I'm sure something equally aamzing!!!!

Tanantha P. said...

I agreed with what everyone said. This Eton Mess is delicious looking and the "mess" Lazaro created makes it even sexier!

Magdalena said...

Dear Tanatha; great ! I discovered rose water only 2 years ago; but I have never used it for desserts,rather for savory Indian style dishes :)
I should publish a new post tomorrow; I was awfully busy last days and I reproach myself because of that...
kind regards,,,
magdalena

Julie M. said...

Oh man! Lazaro, you are my hero! These all look absolutely delicious! I'm especially intrigued by that last one. Is that a creme brulee I spy? I definitely need to head over and check it out on the other side. Nice work you two!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...