Links

Home           Twitter           Meet Tanantha           Featured On

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas Salad - Apple, Pear, and Pomegranate

12.22.10


DSC_0138





Hello from Bangkok, Thailand! I'm back and jet lagged....
Yes, I'm in the hot paradise place :) I'm back to the cold. As much as I like cold weather and dressing up for winter, getting exposed again to warm weather feels good.

I apologize if I'm not around much because I was out of country last week. This post will be short and sweet. This salad is suited well for the Christmas and holiday season. I can't miss the chance to share it with you all. I made this as a second course for a friend-gathering-dinner party. It's easy, fresh, yet delicious. I like the color of this salad. Light pale yellowish of the apple and red of the skin contrast with the bright red color of pomegranate seeds. Sweet flavor from pear compliments well with a little tart from apple and pomegranate seeds.

The dressing is also super easy. My friends liked the salad and I hope you do too! I've made this salad a couple times already.

Speaking of Thailand, I went there for my little sister's wedding. The wedding was elegant and beautiful. They had a Thai engagement ceremony in the morning and the reception in the evening. I liked their presentation about how they met and how they fell for each other. It made my eyes teary! I included a photo of them here.

Left to right: the groom's parents,  a special guest, the groom, my sister, my parents.
Sorry for a not good photo quality. I took it from my cell phone

Another sweet story is from my buddy blogger Roxan at Kitchen Meditation. If you read her blog, you would know that she made dog biscuits for her friends. I'm lucky to receive some from her! Roxan is like a friend that we can talk over dinner although we've never met in person. She sent some biscuits for Bella. I was more excited than Bella was. Why, you ask? It's the first time I had homemade dog biscuits sent over right to our door! Bella loves it. Therefore, I would like to share some photos of Bella and the biscuits here.


DSC_0124
Bella is doing a "thank you" pose for Roxan

DSC_0107
Bella: I love the biscuits!


Merry Christmas to you all!

Christmas Salad
Yield: 2-4

Ingredients:
1 honey crisp apple (you can change to your preference), thick Julienned
1 bosc pear, thickly sliced
1/4-1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
1/2 lemon, juice

Dressing:
3 tbs Pom Wonderful juice
3 tbs sparkling apple cider
1 tsp Dijon mustard
salt and pepper to taste
Extra Virgin Olive Oil (option depends on your preference)


Directions:
  • Mix apple and pear in a bowl. Squeeze lemon juice over them. This is to prevent apple get brown too fast.
  • Make a dressing by combining Pom juice, apple cider, Dijon mustard, and salt & pepper in a small bowl. Taste to correction. You can add olive oil if you wish. I added it the first time but omitted it later times. I find omitting olive oil suits my taste buds better.
  • Add pomegranate seeds. Mix to coat.
  • Serve immediately or leave it in the fridge until you are ready to serve.
  • Note: you can double the proportion to the number of your guests.


DSC_0128
Apple and pear, julienned and sliced


DSC_0042
Dressing: super easy



DSC_0133
Easy and refreshing! Don't you love pomegranate seeds on a white plate?






Follow tananthap on Twitter

25 comments:

Unknown said...

Lovely salad, very colorful too!

FOODESSA said...

Tanantha...once I saw your sweetest Bella...I got sidetracked and almost forgot that you also posted about a very pretty ans appetizing looking salad ;)
Roxan was very generous to display such kindness towards your puppy ;o) My little 'Sushi' is very envious. LOL
Hope you have time to enjoy your holidays ahead.

Have a great week and flavourful wishes,
Claudia

Chef Dennis Littley said...

What a perfect Christmas Salad!! It is beautiful, and your image almost jumps off the page!
Your little Bella is precious, thanks for sharing those wonderful images with us!
Cheers
Dennis

Roxan said...

Aww, Bella looks so happy! :) I'm glad she enjoyed the treats.

Welcome home! Have you posted any pictures on facebook yet? I can't wait to see them. Post all the pictures of everything you ate. And the wedding cake, please!

Unknown said...

Welcome home Tanantha! Isn't Roxan sweet to send you homemade treats for Bella! I like this salad recipe, and I think fresh is a great way to describe it. I will try this one soon, thanks for sharing your recipe. congratulations to your sister and family, the wedding photo is beautiful:-)

Stella said...

Hey Tanantha, your salad looks and sounds so healthful and wonderful. I might try it this week-I have access to all of those ingredients...
Bella is too cute by the way. I love that photo of her on her hind feet like that-you are too lucky to have her.
Oh, and get some sleep! It is the best, you know!? Have I told you that I am a nap feign? I love them. Siest is the best!
Happy Holidays, Tanantha.
XO,
Stella

~Lisa~ said...

Glad you're back! And Bella is a lucky doggie. Too bad my squirty won't eat doggie treats, otherwise I would have had to email Roxy and ask her where my doggie treats are (=

Anonymous said...

Lovely salad! Welcome back and have a wonderful holiday!

Stella said...

Ooh, I just realized I'm so rude (smile). Thanks for posting this on your Facebook page, Tanantha! You're too sweet...:)

Biren @ Roti n Rice said...

That's a lovely fruity salad! I love the colors too :) That was really nice of Roxan. I remember reading the post on her blog.

Juliana said...

Nice salad, love the combination of the fruits and sure the pomegranate adds color and flavor to it :-)

Angie's Recipes said...

A simple, delicious and healthy holiday salad! I love it, Tanantha.
Your Bella is such sweet cutie. :-))
I wish you a happy and safe holiday season!
Angie

lequan said...

hi Tanantha,

glad you made it back safely. hope you had a wonderful time. weddings always get me teary eyed too.

your salad looks delicious and healthy. i love the colour of your dressing and the ingredients go well together. i'd probably have to try this with and without the olive oil as well to see which version i like better.

those are such cute pictures of Bella. i hope you will put more pictures of her in your posts more often. i'm an animal lover and cannot get enough animal pictures on blogs. beautiful tree as well. thanks for sharing all of this. get some rest, my friend. i hope you and your family have a happy holiday and a very Merry Christmas!

Kim - Liv Life said...

Welcome home! Yes, it's wonderful to get out of town and feel some warm, isn't it? What a beautiful salad! I'm somewhat new to pomegranates this year, but we are truly enjoying them. Pears are always popular as well and plentiful in the store now.
Love the pup! I have two of them sitting here on my lap as I type. will have to look into the biscuits. They have become a bit pick as of late.

Monet said...

I'm so glad that you are safe at home. I've been missing you :-) And your sister's wedding looked beautiful. What a joy to be able to be there! This salad looks like the perfect seasonal starter. I hope you have a wonderful end to your week. Happy Holidays!

Lazaro Cooks said...

T,

Lovely salad. Beautifully presented. A perfect Christmas gift.

Be good

Mary @Delightful Bitefuls said...

Wow! I love the colors and textures... that is one gorgeous salad! Great blog and beautiful photography; I'm so happy I found you!

Merry Christmas!

Mary
Delightful Bitefuls

She's Cookin' said...

Love the flavors, colors, and crunchiness of this salad! Perfect for Christmas or to add an elegant touch to any meal. Glad you're back safely and that you were able to share in your sister's most special day :)Happy holidays!

Faith said...

Hope you had a wonderful Christmas! I'm glad to hear you're back home and I hope you had a lovely trip. The salad is just gorgeous. It really feels special and would make a delicious addition to any holiday feast!

Faith said...

I forgot to mention, a huge congrats to your sister and the groom! She is gorgeous and it looks like it was a beautiful wedding!

denise @ quickies on the dinner table said...

Hey Tanantha :)

I'm late for Christmas, but hope you have a wonderful New Year!!

Congratulations to your sister and brother in law! They're a lovely looking couple!

I love the colours in your salad too - so refreshing after all that super rich Christmas food :)

Roxan is a doll, and Bella is ADORABLE!!!

Jessie said...

I love your Christmas salad, Tanantha! Light, with beautiful crisp textures and sweet/tart taste! I can see this as an accompaniment to a special dinner - heck, I'd have it for breakfast, it looks so good :)

Your Bella is adorable! That "thank you" pose is just too precious. I'm glad you're safety back home, although I'm sure you had a great time at your sister's wedding. Glad to have you back!

MaryMoh said...

Lovely salad. I like it. Wow..Bella is so adorable! He is sure so lucky to be given special homemade cookies!

Magdalena said...

It's been a long time when I did not visit your blog. Unfortunately, last two months were very busy for me, so I even did not have time to publish on regular basis.
Salad is great, although Polish Christmas menu is completely different and kind of heavy - it is very traditional.
Happy New Year!

Magic of Spice said...

I saw the pic of Bella over at Roxan's, how sweet for her to send Bella treats :)
You have been miss travel latly, looks like a lovely wedding.
Great salad too ;)
Hope you had a wonderful Christmas!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...