Links

Home           Twitter           Meet Tanantha           Featured On

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Inked Spaghetti with Seafood

2.9.11



I'm sort of back.
Thank you for all the kind words and encouragement. You guys rock!

The I'm-not-in-the-mood-to-blog/cook moment happens to everyone, it seems like. At the end, we all go back to where we belong and are happy - cooking/baking. During the break, I dined out, traveled, read more books, and checked out inspiring blogs. All these things gave me motivation and energy.  My appetite is back, at least for now.

I hope everyone had a great Chinese New Year and super bowl.  I was happily full; that's all I can say!




I finally got around to this inked spaghetti I bought in Italy last October. Yeah..I know...I just got my hands on it now. The color makes a dramatic presentation and adds a wow factor to the finish. It's really easy, light, and elegant. This is my first time working on live mussels. Keith doesn't like them that much so I don't get a chance too often. However, for this type of spaghetti, it couldn't be better than with seafood. Keith doesn't like squid and scallops so he left me only a few options - shrimp and fish. I work for a shrimp importing company so they don't excite me that much. I decided to go with mussels and fish.

Please feel free to add any kind of seafood you like.

PS: I got really busy at work but I will catch up with my favorite blogs very soon!




Inked Spaghetti with Seafood
Yield: 4

Ingredients:
1 lbs live mussels, scrubbed and bearded
1 lbs fresh salmon, skinned, and cut to large cubes
3 tbs olive oil
7 tbs dry white wine
3 garlic cloves, chopped
2 tbs butter
1 lb inked spaghetti
3 tbs minced shallots
salt and pepper
3 tbs chopped fresh parsley or more
3 tbs chopped fresh dill or more
1 lemon


Directions:
  • Put the mussels in a sauce pan with 1 tbs of oil. Add wine, set over high heat, cover and steam for about 3 mins. Shaking pan occasionally until the mussels have opened.
  • Discard the mussels that remain closed. Let cool in the saucepan.
  • Strain the cooking liquid and set it aside until required.
  • Heat the remaining oil in a large deep frying pan. Add shallots, then garlic. Saute' for about 1 mins or until it's translucent.
  • Add salmon and cook for 2 mins or until it's cooked through. 
  • Remove cooked salmon and set aside. Keep the shallots, garlic, oil in the pan.
  • Boil water to cook pasta. Salt the water. Cook as stated in the packaging. Drain.
  • Pour the reserved mussel liquid into frying pan and bring it to a boil. Lower heat and season with salt and pepper. Return the salmon to the pan. Heat for a few seconds then stir in pasta.
  • Add parsley, dill, and squeeze lemon juice over. Toss well.
  • Correct seasonings.


Saute' shallots and garlic


Add the fish - I used salmon for the fish but any firm fish will work


Toss well with fresh herbs


Bon Appetite!







Follow tananthap on Twitter

21 comments:

Emily said...

Hi Tanantha, you come back strong with this inked spaghetti, hehe! I have yet tried inked spaghetti but the inked risotto I had once was divine. I bet this will taste as divine. :)

Roxan said...

Yay, T! You're back. Finally... I've been wondering where you've been. But it's true, we all go through these phases where blogging just seems like such a task. This dish looks awesome. I love the black noodles - although to be honest I'm not sure I'd be able to eat inked noodles. I'd love the seafood though! ;]

Faith said...

Glad to see you're back, Tanatha, you were really missed! And what a dish to come back with, this is definitely stunning...love the addition of mussels too! I've been wanting to try my hand at making them at home!

Victoria said...

Yummy dish, Tanantha! It reminds me of the squid ink pasta dish I made for Lazaro's blog. I love squid ink pasta with seafood, such a great combo. Welcome back!

Unknown said...

Hi Tanantha, I see you're back with a luscious seafood dish. I love that inked spaghettie with the fresh seafood, it just looks mouth watering. Sometimes we just need a break to refresh and rededicate ourselves, no worries, glad you're back;-)

Unknown said...

That looks so good. Love all your ingredients in this pasta dish. Ink pasta makes dish even more special.

A little bit of everything said...

Glad to see you're back, Tanatha
the inked spaghetti look so good and I'm so intrigued since I haven't tried them yet. Love the seafood you picked. thanks for sharing, hope you're having a wonderful Wednesday evening

Angie's Recipes said...

An absolutely stunning black food! And I am so glad to see you back!

William said...

Glad you're back. :) Looks fantastic! Does inked spaghetti taste different than regular spaghetti?

Biren @ Roti n Rice said...

Glad to see you back :) That ink spaghetti is pretty dramatic. Definitely goes well with seafood.

Magic of Spice said...

Hi T~, sounds like you are getting in some lovely "you" time...or at least I hope so. What a glorious dish and I agree inked pastas add something special, and what a fantastic recipe to feature it in :) Lovely!

LeQuan said...

Tanantha,

I am a huge seafood fan and am loving your dish. This looks and sounds so delicious. Definitely one of those dishes that has to be piping hot, well for me at least as I hate my seafood/food even the slightest bit cooled. I would've tried to dump in the shrimp and scallops as well cause I'm a seafood hog like that ;-). Great recipe. So good to have you back blogging! Hope you had a good break. I totally think it's healthy to take blogging breaks. Good to see you back my friend. 

Charisse said...

Such a dramatic dish! Love the interesting flavors! And your photography is out of this world!

She's Cookin' said...

Squid ink pasta is so striking, and it seems a natural for seafood - I've never made it, but now I must! Way to comeback, girl - we missed you :)

Anonymous said...

Glad to see you back online again :) The squid ink spaghetti pairs nicely with salmon and mussels, this is an excellent dish!

Monet said...

I have been thinking and missing you! I'm so glad that you are back...and I completely understand work and life craziness. I'm having to cut back too! This inked spaghetti looks beautiful! Such a lovely presentation. Thank you for sharing, sweetheart. I hope you have a wonderful Friday...and an even better weekend.

Chef Dennis Littley said...

hi Tanantha

that is one gorgeous bowl of pasta! Squid Ink pasta adds another dimension to the dish, and I do love mussels!! Glad to see your back with us, I hope everything is good in your world!
Cheers
Dennis

Stella said...

Hey Tanantha!
I wasn't in the mood to blog either, but that's b/c I went to Key West (smile). It was awesome, so I understand. And it's okay to blog and then take a break-people need breaks sometimes. That's the life;-)
Ooh, and this pasts is so pretty! I need to look for the inked pasta noodles. I never see them here. Hmm...?!

Nancy said...

What a delicious pasta, perfect for a special occasion. I'm glad to see you feeling better :) I think the important thing is to take it one day at a time without pressuring oneself. I think the day that blogging begins to feel like a dreaded task or job, that's when we need to step away and re-evaluate. Happy Valentine's Day!

denise @ bread expectations said...

Tanantha - glad you're back. Always look forward to your innovative and creative dishes. I have a problem with squid and black, inky food - I love them too much ;) I would devour this, but I'd need squid all over it LOL Gorgeous!!

Unknown said...

Black pasta? I haven't tried this but I'm intrigued! Thank for sharing the recipe, Tanantha! And I hope Keith would explore his taste for seafood. There's a lot more to seafood than shrimp and fish. =) Crystal @ The Fish Bone Grill

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...