Links

Home           Twitter           Meet Tanantha           Featured On

Sunday, June 26, 2011

My Mom's Tomato Soup


Last post I mentioned a relationship between my dad and me, this time I will talk about my mom for a little bit. My mom is a clean freak-hahaha yes she is. It's good and bad. Their house is organized and clean. It's bad when she asks me to help her clean the house so often!

I've realized that motherhood is a hard job and requires quite a lot of scarifice. At my age, motherhood time is soon approaching and it makes me think back to the experience with my mom. We hang out, we shop, we cook, and we talk like other mother-daughter relationships. She has done a lot for our family and I have to say she's very patient. She's at the age where it is time for extended family.  So, no doubt that every time when she calls, the most non-stop repeated question is when will I give her a grandchild!? Oh gosh mom, please stop.

My mom is a great cook. I learned a lot from her and I feel fortunate for that experience. Her food is a mix between Vietnamese and Thai. This tomato soup is one of my favorites. I have to request this soup every time I see her. I'm glad that now it's Keith's and my friends' favorite! The soup is so simple that it's hard to believe this is it for the ingredients! I changed a tiny ingredient to suit my taste buds. We also recommend using fresh Roma tomatoes. Roma tomatoes are meatier and sweeter than other tomatoes (at least in my opinion). They're also good for making sauce. You could make this as a first course soup or even a meal by adding pasta, rice, or noodles at your choice.

Fried shallots are one of the key ingredients. They add flavor and aromatic scent. I tend to overdose fried shallots in my bowl! I hope you like it. My mom would be proud of me! (teehee)

I know it's Summer and might be hard to take on a hot soup. However, all the ingredients are very accesible especially at farmers markets. If you have a chance or crave chucky hot soup, this dish is a must to try!



My Mom's Tomato Soup
Yield: 6 first course soup

Ingredients:
7-8 fresh Roma tomatoes, cut quarterly
3 medium shallots, thinly sliced
2 Tbs vegetable oil
1 lbs of ground meat at your choice (I like to use ground pork)
1, 8 oz. package of firm tofu, cut in cubes
4 cups chicken stock
1 Tbs kosher salt (add more if needed)
1/4 Tbs black pepper
Chili flakes (optional)
1/2 cup chopped green onion and cilantro

beautiful Roma tomatoes from farmers market in my hood
Directions:
  • Heat up large pot on medium high heat. Add oil; swirl to coat.
  • Add shallots. Cook until brown.
  • Add meat and cook until brown and cooked through.
  • Add tomatoes. This will take a while about half hour. Cook until tomato meat is smushy and starts to turn to soup. Season with salt and pepper. Cover lid as needed.
  • Add chicken soup. Adjusting seasoning (salt, pepper, chili flakes if using)
  • Bring it to boil. Add tofu and let it simmer for another 10-15 mins.
  • Turn off the heat and add chopped green onion and cilantro.
  • Serve as a soup or eat with rice or bread.

Brown shallots. The smell is incredible good!

Add ground pork

Then tomatoes

Cook until tomatoes are smoochy and turn to tomato soup

It will look like this

Add chicken stock, tofu and cook in low heat for 15 mins. Add green onion and cilantro; turn off the heat and remove from heat
A finished soup witout fried shallots on top

Top with fried shallots (optional) and serve with your choice of pasta, noodles, rice, or even bread






Follow tananthap on Twitter

15 comments:

ann low said...

I like this a beautiful and healthy soup and looks very delicious too. I definitely will make this for my family too. Thanks for sharing :)

Unknown said...

Wow too gud and tempting too

Patty Price said...

Hi Tanantha, thanks for sharing your mom's tomato soup;-) I think this works perfect in the Summer because of the wonderful fresh Roma tomatoes(from your hood,ha-ha) I have some in my garden but they are awhile out from being ripe. I will bookmark this recipe and try it when my tomatoes are ready, how fun I'm really looking forward to it because this soup looks like it's amazing;-)

Jessica said...

There's always a right time for a hearty soup like this one! It sounds like a must try. Haha my mom is an absolutely clean freak too!

Angie's Recipes said...

A very fresh and light soup!

Priscilla-ShesCookin said...

Sweet post - your mom's tomato soup looks awesome! I'm with Patty - it's never too hot for soup when you have garden fresh tomatoes. I'll be roasting them, too!

Jessie said...

The hot weather won't stop me from making this tomato beautiful soup, lol ;) Isn't it wonderful when we have favorite dishes we always request from our parents? For me, it's my dad's chicken caccitore with olives, mmm. I love the addition of fried shallots to this recipe - I know Peter would approve!

Hope everything is going well, Tanantha! :)

Lazaro Cooks said...

You've done your Mom's soup proud. I would love a bowl anytime of the day or year. Great rich depth of flavor. I am a big fan of this tomato soup.

Now, go clean something up!

Raquel@Erecipe Free Nutritional Calculator said...

Your mother is really great, I am a mother too and really there is a lot of sacrifice...I also never thought of that when I am single.

Monet said...

I loved learning more about your mom...and the soup that she loved! Thank you for sharing, sweet friend. I'm sorry I've been a bit absent. Your blog is a great way for me to start my morning. I hope you have a beautiful day!

Tanantha P. said...

Thank you everyone for your comments! My mom would be so happy to see that people like her her food!

Magic of Spice said...

This is such a lovely soup and I am sure you mom would be very proud :)
I was showing Adam something on your site late night and he kept scrolling back to see the soup photo saying "This looks so good" over and over :)
Hugs and hope you have a great weekend...

denise @ quickies on the dinner table said...

Hi Tanantha - how have you been? Hope all is well with you. Your mom's tomato soup looks lovely! How generous of you both to share the recipe :) I love tomato soup, but I've never had one like this. I would definitely love to try this!

LeQuan said...

I'm sure your Mom was all smiles reading this post, Tanantha. The soup looks wonderful, healthy, and delicious. It should be nicknamed The Mom Soup because it's this kind of good stuff I'd want my kids eating everyday. Great job with the soup, dear. Oh and about the having children thing, I believe the time will come when it's right. Hugs!

Nancy said...

Hello again :) I love your tomato soup! I don't care if it's summer and hot outside if I am craving soup I want it no matter what. Going to bookmark your recipe.

Thanks for having participated in June's YBR:) And BTW that question is also my #1 from all my family, they never stop, hehe.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...