Links

Home           Twitter           Meet Tanantha           Featured On

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Asian Grilled Pork Skewer


This grilled pork is a bomb. No, I'm not lying or exaggerating but it is; even my pastor confirmed! I got this recipe from my good friend, Jay, who is a chef at a Thai restaurant. He created several menu to several restaurants. He didn't give me measurement as he adjusted the taste as he went. I tweaked the recipe and used my own measurement. The result is delish with a kick from Korean hot pepper paste (Gochujang)

The original recipe calls for apple and pear puree but I think apple and papaya puree would make the pork more tender. The papaya enzyme called papain, is used as a meat tenderizer. It breaks down tough meat fibers. Plus, I had it in my fridge! The pork turned out super tender. I mixed seasoning sauce with light soy sauce instead of using just one.  The color is reddish because of Korean hot pepper paste and papaya puree. So, don't be scared when you see the sauce.

My note would be if you use papaya puree, please cut your pork a bit thicker and bigger. The enzyme from papaya really breaks down fiber in meat. It will make grilling easier too.

If you use pear puree, you can cut your meat thinner and smaller.

I called this "Asian" because I'm not sure if it's Korean or Thai or something else. I know Thai uses seasoning sauce (Golden Mountain) while Korean uses soy sauce and hot pepper paste (Gochujang), and Thai and Chinese use oyster sauce. To cover all of the above, Asian would be the suitable word to be used- tee hee.

This dish is also perfect for BBQ outing or appetizer.



Asian Grilled Pork
Yield: a lot (75-90 skewers)

Ingredients:
3 lbs pork shoulder or butt
2 Tbs oyster sauce
3 Tbs light soy sauce
3 Tbs seasoning sauce.I used Golden mountain brand.
1 Tbs sugar
1 apple, peeled, cored, cubed, and pureed
1 full cup papaya, peeled, cubed, and puree
3 Tbs Korean hot pepper paste (Gochujang). This is spicy so please be careful. You can decrease the amount for less spicy
1 Tbs sesame oil
1/4 cup toasted sesame seeds

Bamboo skewers

Directions:
  •  Soak bamboo skewer in water overnight or at least 6 hours (until they are fully submerged with water)
  • Add everything except pork and sesame seeds in a blender. Blend until mixed well.
  • Cut pork into slice or small cube. Pour in the sauce. Marinate it overnight. If using apple and pear, marinating it a few days works best to get all the flavor.
  • Thread each piece of pork with a skewer. Leave about 1/4 of skewer left for grilling and handling.
  • Grill on medium high heat or about 375 F until it's cooked through.
  • Serve with couscous or fresh lettuce and other fresh vegetable.
After marinating overnight

These bad boys are ready to go on a grill

Yum!


Follow tananthap on Twitter

10 comments:

Nic@diningwithastud said...

Thats an awesome tip about papaya :) thanks! These look delicious! Great summer recipe to "chuck on the barbie" haha

Monet said...

What a fruity and delicious pork dish! This looks so good (and I don't usually like pork!) Thank you for sharing, sweet friend!

Magic of Spice said...

What great flavors...I bet these are amazing! And nice call with the papaya...smart :)
Hope you have a great weekend!

Unknown said...

Hiya! Nice grilling recipe to celebrate the warm weather we've been enjoying! I like these skewers for a pool party maybe with margaritas!??

Angie's Recipes said...

Love the papaya marinade....those pork skewers look mouthwatering!

raquel erecipe said...

I can smell the char grilled love bbq and this is something different because of the papaya that is a great tip.

Evelyne CulturEatz said...

Well obviously this is so up my Ethnic Eatz alley, love it and excellent point about the papaya's enzyme. Yes Tanantha I had a really late dinner and you should totally check out SRC :-)

Kelly Senyei said...

I've been dying to do some type of skewer for a finger-friendly party appetizer, and these look fantastic! Thanks for the inspiration!

Nancy said...

Wow Tanantha this is such a great recipe. I love that you tweaked your friends recipe to your own taste. Thanks for sharing and this is going to be one I try very soon.

spcookiequeen said...

I've seen this a couple times now and everytime my mouth still waters. Hope you have a great weekend.
-Gina-

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...