Links

Home           Twitter           Meet Tanantha           Featured On

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Leek and Celery Root Soup - A comfort food on a cold day


It's my first time making smooth silky soup and with this ugly beast -celery root. I know I'm lame. With chilly weather, warm soup comes first on the dinner menu list at my house. The weather sucks and I need something to comfort me. I've been wanting to make smooth soup and work with root produce. I guess this is the time - (just do it, T!). With busy schedules that took all my time and energy away from cooking, I finally overcame it and realized how much I missed cooking. It's worth it. I love it. The soup is surprisingly flavorful with a few ingredients. Nothing is new in this recipe but a classic is a good comfort food.

Celery Root

Celery root has a celery flavor, and is often used as a flavoring in soups and stews; it can also be used on its own. The appearance is ugly but the inside is white or off-white - like apple mixed with potato.

Leek has a mild onion-like taste, and is less bitter than scallion. The taste might be described as a mixture of mild onion and cucumber, with a fresh smell similar to scallion. In its raw state, the vegetable is crunchy and firm.

I changed and added a few ingredients. Feel free to tweak this to suit your taste buds.



Leek and Celery Root Soup
Yield: 6 cups

Ingredients:
2 leeks, (use only white and light green part) halved, cleaned, and thinly sliced crosswise.
2 medium celery roots, peeled, cubed
1/2 yellow onion, thinly sliced
3 Tbs butter
1 Tbs olive oil
1 tsp cayenne pepper
2 cups chicken stock
2 cups water
Salt and pepper
Heavy cream
Creme fraiche or sour cream
Chopped chive
White truffle oil (optional)

Blender and big pot

Directions:
  • Heat up large sauce pan over high heat. Add butter and oil.
  • Add leeks and onion. Cook until onion is translucent and leeks are getting brown.
  • Add chopped celery root. Cook for a few mins. Add 1 cup of chicken stock. Cover and cook for about 20-30 mins until celery root is cooked through. During this process, if the liquid is evaporated, keeps adding stock or water.
  • Season with salt and pepper
  • Let it cool a bit before transferring to blender
  • When it's not too hot, blend it in a blender and adding cream to your desire of thickness until the soup is smooth.
  • Correct seasonings
  • Pour in prepared bowls or glasses. Drop a spoonful of creme fraiche and chives on top. If using truffle oil, drop a few on soup before serving.
Note: This can be served hot or cold. It can be kept in the fridge for a few days.

The soup after some has already transferred to a blender

You can serve it as dinner with toasts


Or serve it in a glass shot for appetizer



Follow tananthap on Twitter

11 comments:

Patty Price said...

If I come over with an empty bowl, will you fill it with your leek celery root soup???? Please!!!
I love this for a starter in the small glasses, a satisfying and flavorful taste of goodness on a cold day;-) Good job with those celery roots!

Kim said...

I don't care how ugly celery root is, i tried it for the first time last year and loved it. Mixed with leeks, i bet a real treet! Love your photos :)

Nic@diningwithastud said...

Oooh these look delish! Its very overcast outside today so these would be perfecto :)

Vicki Bensinger said...

I actually like both celery root and leeks. This soup sounds great and one that I'm sure my family would love. Thank you for sharing it.

Angie's Recipes said...

I love celery root...well, it looks a bit rough, but I love the taste. The soup looks warm and tasty.

Cool Chic Style Fashion said...

Deliziosa ricetta, ciao

Monet said...

There is nothing better than soup on a cold day. Especially soup with leeks...my favorite fall/winter veggie! What a lovely recipe...and an inspiring post. I hope you have a beautiful weekend, my friend. Blessings and joy from Austin.

Roxana GreenGirl said...

isn't it great when fall comes and root veggies are in season. I love celeriac and your soup sounds like a delicious comfort meal.
Thanks for sharing Tanantha, hope you're family is safe

Magic of Spice said...

What a beautiful combination of flavors! I love soups during cooler weather and it's been rainy/chilly here most of the week. This really sounds lovely :)

Christine knapkins_com said...

Hi Tanantha, Your Seared Scallop recipe has been selected by Knapkins to be featured in a Recipe Guessing Game. Please share the following link with your friends and fans. To play, go here: http://knapkins.com/guess_games/411?source=blog Congrats again!! :)

Anonymous said...

I would like to thank you for the efforts you have put in
writing this blog. I really hope to check out the same high-grade content by
you in the future as well. In truth, your creative writing abilities has motivated me to get my own website now ;
)

Also visit my weblog Titanfall Cheats

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...