Yep. It's 5 star challenge again. This month theme is Greek Meze! Natasha and Lazaro decided this month we wouldn't do the same dish but each presented different dish in a Greek Meze theme so we had a variety and food for the eyes. You can see from hummus to Keftedakia at the round-up on Friday on Natasha's and Lazaro's blog.
Greek cuisine and I are like strangers. We've "met" but haven't had deep friendship. I'm eager to get to know the Greek better from the round-up!
For me, I decided to have my take on fritters but in a sweet way. I first wasn't sure if it was Greek until Natasha mentioned it. I admitted that I googled if apple fritters were Greek haha. I hope my research is correct! I wanted to do apple because I've developed my fond toward apples these days and they are in season. I also made Greek yogurt ice cream with my newly ice cream maker! Whoohoo! Oh yes, a little caramel sauce goes on there to tie it up. A combination of cispy puffy fritters, smooth ice cream, and caramel sauce go really well together in one bite. These fritters are so easy and you easily change to your favorite ingredient as you wish.
I'm opt for Granny Smith type due to its tartness. You can use any type of apples you like really.
Apple Fritter, Greek Yogurt Ice Cream, and Caramel Sauce
Ingredients for fritters:
1 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored, and diced
1 cup AP flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 TBS butter, melted
1 egg, beaten
1/2 cup milk or more if needed
Oil for frying
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a bowl.
- Mix wet ingredients --egg, vanilla, butter, and milk.
- Slowly add the wet mixture into a dry mixture and mix until combined. If it's too thick, you can more milk. Then, add the chopped apple. The consistency should be of a light cake mixture.
- Heat up oil in a medium pot. When the oil is ready, use an ice cream scoop to scoop the dough into a hot oil. Don't over crowd them. Flip if needed. When the dough balls are golden brown, place them on a paper towel. Set aside.
Ingredients for Ice cream:
8 oz. Mascarpone cheese
1.5 cups Greek yogurt
1/2 heavy cream
1/2-2/3 cup of fined sugar
- Mix everything together until it's smooth. Put the mixture in an ice cream maker and follow its instruction.
Ingredients for caramel sauce:
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup water
1 Tbs light corn syrup
1/3 cup heavy cream
3 Tbs butter, cubed
- Mix sugar, water, salt, and corn syrup in a pot over medium low heat. Cook until the sugar mixture turns a light amber color (about 15 mins). Be careful not to burn it! Otherwise you will get a burnt and bitter flavor.
- Once it turns amber color, remove from stove. Add cream and butter. Whisk to emulsify.
- Serve fritters and ice cream, and drizzle with caramel sauce.