Links

Home           Twitter           Meet Tanantha           Featured On

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Revisit Eggrolls 2 styles and Happy Thanksgiving!

11.23.10

DSC_0006


I'm sick in bed. Well I'm better today.
Ugh.

I've been sick since last Thursday and was hoping the weekend would cure me. Unfortunately, it's been up and down and usually worse at night. I didn't go to work on Monday because of being sick but now I can use the excuse of snow to stay home! It's been snowing since Sunday night. It's not usual that Seattle has snow in November. We had a bad winter 2 years ago with all the snow, and that was in December. Seattleites didn't know how to drive in snow and it causes traffic and accidents everywhere. No doubt, we will have a white winter again this year. This means we will have a white Christmas! This is exciting. Luckily, I stock up food in my pantry and don't have to worry about driving to get stuff.

DSC_0340


Thanksgiving is this week (already?!). Where did the time go? Year 2010 is almost over! There are tons of turkey recipes out there to welcome Thanksgiving. I, on the other hand, have an eggroll recipe to share for Thanksgiving! woot!  Yeah, you heard me right. I made eggrolls last year for my in-laws for Thanksgiving. They loved it. This year, they requested eggrolls again. I won't be roasting turkey so making eggrolls is the least I can do for Thanksgiving, right?

This year, I changed some ingredients for more flavors, and made another filling -TexMex filling as I call it.

You can visit my old post for a step-by-step photo instructional of rolling the pastries here. I even wrote a letter to Mr. Eggroll haha. Silly me. On this post, I will just include recipes.

Eggroll Asian Style
Yield: 55

Ingredients
1.5 lbs ground pork
1/2 medium cabbage head, shredded
15 oz shredded/matchstick carrots
4 green onions, chopped
1 cup chopped cilantro
7 cloves garlics, minced
3 tbs toasted sesame seeds
2 bundles dried bean threads, soak in water until soft
1 package of dried fungus
4 tbs oyster sauce
2 tbs soy sauce
2 tbs fish sauce
1 tbs sugar
2 tsp white vinegar
1 splash Siracha
salt and white

Directions

DSC_0319


DSC_0321

Please click here

TexMex Eggrolls
Yield: 20

Ingredients
1/2 lb ground pork
1/2 medium cabbage head, shredded
8 oz matchstick carrots
3 green onions, chopped
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 bundle dried bean threads, soak in water until soft
1 fresh sweet corn, cored
1 tbs chilin powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tbs smoke paprika
pinch cayenne pepper
1/2 tbs salt
Chili sauce such as Tobasco or Siracha
1 splash masala
salt and black pepper for seasoning
Oil

Directions are similar to the Aisan version.

Heat up a wok on medium high heat. Add oil and swirl to coat. Brown the pork and corn kernels. Season with salt. Add cabbage, carrots, and bean threads. Add all the seasonings. Stir well. Add masala. Cook until the liquid is evaporated. Taste to correction.

Lay it out on a baking sheet to dry. You can keep it in a fridge over night or roll it the same day. If you keep it in a fridge, wrap it with plastic wrap or foil.


DSC_0322
Brown pork and corn kernels


DSC_0323
Stir to mix

DSC_0325
It's almost ready!


DSC_0006
Ready to eat!


It's Thanksgiving and it also means Persimmons season! Have you come across these fruits or have you eaten them? What do you think?


DSC_0338


Happy Thanksgiving!






Follow tananthap on Twitter

24 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Tanantha, Your fillings are making me hungry,they both look so good! Your in laws are so lucky that you make these incredible eggrolls. I have to try making eggrolls, maybe at home for a big football watching day. The snow looks beautiful. Stay home, keep warm and get well. Have a happy Thanksgiving and I hope you eat all the things you love this weekend;)

Unknown said...

oh I forgot the little balls in the pie plate are weights to hold the crust down in place when you prebake it before putting in the filling;)

lequan said...

Hi Tanantha,

Being sick really sucks :( I really hope you feel better soon, dear. I'll bet some congee or a nice bowl of Bun Bo Hue would work some magic right about now. Bun Bo hue always help me clear my sinuses...teehee.

I love that you're making eggrolls for thanksgiving - Asian pride! :-D
I'm ashamed to say I have never made eggrolls. I think the frying part freaks me out. I've yet to get over my fear of frying....sigh...some day. Your first recipe sounds great, but I have to say I'm intrigued by your TexMex eggrolls. Love the mix of different spices, sweet corn, tobacco/sriracha, and masala. What a great combination of flavors! Thanks for sharing. Hope you feel better before Thanksgiving, Tanantha :( Also hope you and your family have a Happy Thanksgiving.

~Lisa~ said...

Oh no. Still sick? I hope you get better lady (= And those egg rolls look flavorful, I could eat 2 or 3. I like persimmons, not a favorite but I'll eat them. My grandma used to give to us. Koreans even have dried versions. Anywho, feel better T!

Unknown said...

Egg rolls looks so perfect n crispy

Emily said...

Hi Tanantha,

I love egg rolls (I assume they are the same thing as spring rolls?). Either way, they look delicious and appreciate the different versions you've provided. :)

Persimmons, yum! When I own a house, I'll plant a persimmon tree to get unlimited supply, hehe! It's quite expensive in Australia, as the cheapest I've found was 3 for $5. How can I just have 3 persimmons, I need to have at least a tray!!
By the way, stay warm and look after yourself. Winter can be tough!

Charisse said...

I haven't attempted egg rolls yet but you have definitely given me some inspiration!

Roxan said...

snow snow snow!!! make a snowman :) i saw the pics you posted of bella in the snow. SOOoo cute! i wish i could meet her, i bet she and nala would be great friends.

these egg rolls looks really really good! awesome job making them even though you've been so sick. when i'm sick i'm a huge baby and don't want to do anything hahaha.

have a wonderful wonderful thanksgiving, t!!! hopefully you are feeling 100% by tomorrow so you can eat boatloads of food.

She's Cookin' said...

I'll have to try your Tex Mex eggrolls - its been awhile since I've made eggrolls cuz for awhile there I was making them every week and felt like I was eating too much fried food :) Hope you're feeling better so you can enjoy your Thanksgiving! Stay warm - wow, snow in November!

Anonymous said...

I've never made my own eggrolls...it's always seemed daunting! Yours look fantastic though...they make me want to give it a try when the holiday madness winds down! Wishing you a great Thanksgiving :)

Stella said...

Hey Tanantha, I always get worse at night too when I'm sick-it's weird. Sometimes I'll even think I'm better b/c of how good I feel in the morning, and then 'Bam!'-the sickness hits some time in the evening. Ugh, I hope you feel better soon...
Either way, these egg rolls look delicious. Really pretty actually;) Oh, and I love persimmons, There is a tree in my Mom's neighborhood. When they are ripe some people slice and sear them?!
Happy Thanksgiving, Tanantha!
XO, Stella

Nancy said...

Hi Tanantha, Sorry you are still sick:( Both of your eggroll recipes looks so GOOD! I want some eggrolls for Thanksgiving too:) The fillings are making me drool so much. Get better soon and have a very Happy Thanksgiving! Big hugs :)

Nancy said...

Oh I forgot to tell you that I love Persimmon. I know there are 2 types and one is bitter and the other isn't, but can't remember which. Also if you let them get a little over ripe they taste sweeter.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry that you are sick and hope you will feel all better very very soon. Your eggrolls look excellent, love the TexMex flavors in the filling. I do like persimmons but my parents are totally crazy about them, so I suspect they'll be bring us a bunch of them very soon to share :)

Magic of Spice said...

Hey, hope your feeling better by now...These eggrolls look wonderful, it's fun to add something a bit different to Holiday meals :)
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Monet said...

Hi love. I hope you are feeling better. It is so hard to be sick during this time of year...the to-do list seems miles long! Thank you for still sharing with us despite your sickness. These eggrolls sound delicious, and I wish I had one to munch on right now! I hope you have a blessed day with your family and friends tomorrow!

Angie's Recipes said...

The filling of spring rolls looks so good!
Eating some persimmons now :-)) I love them...just dare not to eat too much as they are packed with carbohydrates and sugar.

FOODESSA said...

Those eggroll fillings look and sound incredibly scrumptious. I can't really be as excited about persimmons. I tried them once and made a strange face. My Mom tells me that they probably were not ripe enough. I may one day give them another chance ;O)

Tanantha...your health will certainly get better soon because you are a very positive person in mind, body and soul ;o))

Bless you and have yourself a great Thanksgiving celebration.

Ciao for now,
Claudia

Lazaro Cooks said...

T,

Get better soon and stay out of that snow. Amazing we could not live in more different climates.

Creative, smart and sexy egg roll. Great tutorial and photos. Love the bold flavor profiles.

Bravo!

Chef Dennis Littley said...

Hi Tanantha

I hope you feel better soon! I have been wanting to teach my girls how to make eggrolls, but of course I need to learn to make them first!
Thanks so much for providing me with the recipe..I followed the links to your other egg roll too!
feel better
Dennis

denise @ quickies on the dinner table said...

Poor Tanantha!! I hope you are feeling lots better by now and that you had a fantastic Thanksgiving :)

I love both your eggroll fillings but the first one is so much like the rolls (poh piah) I grew up eating :) Both look amazing!! Hope you enjoy the snow too!

Faith said...

Tanatha, thank you so much for stopping by my blog and leaving those sweet comments! It's very nice to meet you and your blog is just gorgeous! I think eggrolls are a fantastic idea for Thanksgiving...they are something I really don't make at home often enough! I'm going to check out your tutorial now.

Hope you're feeling better soon!

Biren @ Roti n Rice said...

Sorry I'm late but I hope you had a lovely Thanksgiving :) Being sick is not fun. Hope you did recover before the holidays.

Your eggrolls are fabulous! They look so nice and crunchy. It's been a while since I made eggrolls but good thing someone made some for one of our Thanksgiving gathering :)

Enjoy the snow....

Juliana said...

Tanantha, I hope you had a nice Thanksgiving. The eggrolls looks awesome, crispy and full of flavor :-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...