Links

Home           Twitter           Meet Tanantha           Featured On

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Whole Wheat Flax'N Apple Muffins



Happy Earth Day!

While writing up this post, I'm preparing stuff for camping and the beach clean-up with Washington Coast Savers this weekend. Oh by the way, I'm back in shape health-wise. Thanks everyone so much for your care and blessings.

We're going to clean up Long Beach, WA with other volunteers from other organizations and to celebrate Earth Day. It's going to be freaking cold and yes freaking fun! My husband and I are going with friends and we will camp on Friday night. I'm really looking forward to it! I know it's going to be cold but c'mon, camping out with friends and saving our beach and environment couldn't be any better. 

We will help save our coast from household plastics, lost fishing gear, and other kinds of trash that poison our wildlife and spoil our beaches. According to Washington Coast Servers' website, for the years 2000-2010, they’ve had a total of 8,246 volunteers collect about 277 tons of marine trash. Figuring an average contribution of 5 hours per volunteer, that's a total of 41,230 volunteer hours contributed! That's amazing right?

Okay enough about cleaning up, how many of you have noticed a recipe on a box (side or back) of an ingredient you've used? And, how many of you have ever tried the recipe?

Those recipes are award-winning or well approved for taste. I myself have noticed but never tried it. However, this time I was looking for something to bake easily and that required ingredients I already had or was able to substitue. Bam. A box of milled flax seed branded Hodgson Mill sitting on my pantry shelf. I checked on ingredients and directions. "Oh that's easy and perfect for my lazy day at home", I thought to myself. I was excited actually. I had all required ingredients on hand that day. 

Dry ingredients

Wet ingredients

It sounded healthy and got me wondering if it would taste good. You know, I'm a typical girl who thinks healthy food might not taste as great as normal or non-healthy food. They turned out perfectly and yes tasted great! They weren't too dry as I anticipated; surprisingly. I made 2 batches to bring to a Thai church for the Thai New Year. The first batch I followed the recipe with a little adjustment and the second batch I didn't use wholewheat flour but AP flour. There was not much difference in flavor but a tiny bit in texture. I also used organic soy milk instead of regular milk to bump up the healthy level. I was satisfied with how they turned out. Man, I really need to check suggested recipes on every box of ingredients I buy!



Whole Wheat Flax'N Apple Muffins
Yield: 12 muffins

Ingredients:
1/4 cup ground flax seed
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
3/4 cup AP flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg, beaten
1 1/2 cups finely chopped apples. I used 1 apple.
3 Tbsp vegetable oil
1/2 cup soy milk
1/2 cup chopped peanuts or any kind of nuts you like

Directions:

  • Preheat oven to 400 F.
  • Combine all dry ingredients except nuts and apples in a bowl.
  • Beat egg, sugar, vegetable oil, and milk together in a seperated bowl.
  • Add dry mixture into egg mixture and stir until blended. You don't really have to use a mixer. if you don't have it. Stiring it with fork works just fine. I used a stand mixer with stir to low speed.
  • Fold in nuts and apples. Batter will be thick.
  • Line tint cups on a muffin tray. Use an ice cream scoop to scoop out batter 2/3 full to a tray.
  • Bake for 18 mins or until inserted toothpick comes out clean.
Fold in apples and nuts

Fill 2/3 cup full

They look great, taste great, and smell great!

Would you like a bite?







Follow tananthap on Twitter

17 comments:

ann low said...

Love all the ingredients in this muffin...sounds so delicious and healthy.

Unknown said...

I always have ground flax seed on hand mostly because I use them in smoothies that I occasionally make for breakfast. But I know they are good to bump up the nutritional value of baked goods like your amazing looking muffins. Thanks for sharing this recipe, I agree it is a winner and your photos are pretty good as well;-) Good luck on your camping/clean up trip, sounds like a wonderful way to celebrate Earth Day;-)

Angie's Recipes said...

I love flaxseed! Those muffins look super moist and I am sure they taste great.

She's Cookin' said...

I've tried the recipes on packages with great success! Where I run into trouble is with substitutions, so I'm glad your substitutions worked out :) I'm always looking for healthy, moist fruit muffins for breakfast and these look perfect. Have a great trip - beach cleanup is a wonderful thing to do on Earth Day or any weekend - we have them frequently here because there's a lot to clean up!

Chef Dennis Littley said...

it's great you have such wonderful volunteers to clean up your coast! In Jersey the volunteers drop their cigarette butts and beer cans in the water as their working on their tans....
your muffins look delicious, I do have to try flax seeds they sound so healthy!
Cheers
Dennis

Unknown said...

Healthy n yummy combination..looks so fluffy n yummy

Roxan said...

T you have such pretty pictures! You need to learn me how to take pictures, and how to cook :)
These muffins look awesome...I love ground flax seed, I add it to a lot of stuff. It's so good for you!

PS I booked my ticket to stl!

Anonymous said...

I could definitely start my morning off with one of these :) I love healthy muffins and these look like they would not disappoint! Happy Easter :) Wishing you a fantastic week!

Faith said...

Your muffins look fantastic! Super healthy and the perfect way to start the day.

Magic of Spice said...

I love the beach clean up get together, we do them around here as well :) And I really love these muffins, flax seeds are a staple in my pantry :)
Hope you had a great weekend...

Evan @swEEts said...

Now you've got me wanting muffins! These look delicious.. I love healthy muffins in the morning :)

Lazaro Cooks said...

Keep doing your thing. You are a wonderful person with a big heart. Who makes some tasty looking muffins.

Bravo!

Biren @ Roti n Rice said...

Currently having a cup of chai. This will go well with it. I seldom, if ever, try the recipe on the box. Will have to check them out next time.

BTW, I like your new blog layout. Very nice and bright!

Anonymous said...

Perfect looking muffins! I like the the combo of peanuts and apples here. I've been adding flax seeds to our muffins as well, they're great.

Mary Bergfeld said...

These really sound wonderful. I'm relatively new here and rarely comment, but I did want you to know how much I appreciated the food and recipes you share with your readers. I always love my visits here an you keep me coming back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

LeQuan said...

Hi Tanantha!

So glad to hear your health is much better now! Sorry I'm so late at dropping by. Ever since our vacation I've been trying to get out of a blogging slump and catch up on my blogging.

What a wonder volunteering job to choose, Tanantha. I'm so proud of you for doing this. Way to stand up to the cold and do some good for the environment.

I always see recipes on boxes but choose to ignore them. I don't even have a good reason why. After seeing your yummy muffins, I may have to think twice next time about just tossing it aside. I'm glad the muffins turned out well for you.

Roxana GreenGirl said...

Oh, yes please, I'd love a bite!
Tanantha, the muffins look and sound great. I use flax seeds in my salads and breads but never ground them. Hmm. Gotta try. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...