It's football season! Well, I'm not a big fan. I know it's in season because all the guys and Facebook friends are talking about it. Five Star Makeover challenge is in trend. They're hosting a virtual tail gate party! This month's theme is tailgate food. I was actually excited about this even though I'm not a football or any sport fan in particular. The idea of having a party, finger food, beer, and going wild blows me away (tee hee).
I cordially invite you to join our virtual tailgate party this Friday at our host's home - Natasha @ Five Star Foodie and Lazaro @ Lazaro Cooks.
I had been thinking for a while what I should make. I wanted finger food. Asian BBQ chicken wings, grilled pork with sticky rice, Asian meatballs, blah blah blah.... They all pop into my head but it doesn't "click". You know, it's like chemistry when you're on a date. That is until I thought of a Thai fish cake; I can incorporate this into classic fritters. Fried food is always a hit. Anything fried is good, don't you think?!
Red curry paste and kaffir leaves are mysterious ingredients in this recipe. You will get the what-is-that flavor while eating it and continuing to keep eating more! Salmon chuck and green beans are a nice touch, and topping with fried basil is just sexy. I can gaurantee these fritters will be a crowd pleaser at your tailgate party! Whether your team wins or loses; this dish will always be a winner.
|Fresh diced coho salmon|
Thai Style Salmon FrittersYield: 45-50
1 Tbs red curry paste
1/2 Tbs fish sauce
1 cup chopped fresh green bean
1 lb fresh salom. I used Coho salmon, wild caught
2 whole eggs
3/4 cup whole milk or heavy cream
1 1/4 cups AP flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 Tbs minced fresh kaffir leaves
1/4 cup green onion (white part)
1/2 lime, juiced
1 tsp white pepper
Oil for frying
1 cup fresh basil
Salt and Cayenne pepper for dusting
|Red curry paste|
- Beat eggs, milk, lime juice, fish sauce, and red curry paste in a bowl or stand mixer just until everything is incorporated and curry paste is dissolved.
- Change the speed to stir or low speed and add flour, baking powder, and white pepper. Stir until mixed.
- Add green beans, green onion, minced kaffir leaves, and salmon to the batter. At low speed, stir to mix. You can use spatula or wooden spoon to mix the ingredients.
- Add oil to a sauce pan and heat it up to 375 F. Lay paper towel on a baking sheet.
- Scoop a spoon full of mixture in a hot oil. Don't overcrowd. Fry them until brown. Use a slotted spoon to scoop up and transfer to prepared tray.
- Keep doing until the mixture is out.
- Sprinkle salt and cayenne pepper to fried fritters.
- Use same oil to fry fresh basil until it's crispy.
Siracha Sour Cream Sauce:Sour cream
Chopped green onion
Splash of Siracha
Directions:Mix everything together to suit your taste buds. For Siracha, if you like spicy, you can add more. If you don't like spicy, you can leave out this.
|They are hot tubing|
|Sprinkle with cayenne pepper and salt|
|Serve with fried basil and Siracha sour cream|
|Want a bite?|